Friday, January 8, 2010

The 365 Project - Day 8


On January 2nd, I decided to make an attempt at the 365 Project.  The project is basically a challenge to take at least one photo a day for an entire year.  January 1st is a logical starting point, but many people start whenever they get the inspiration to.  For me, inspiration hit on the 2nd, but I happened to have a photo from the 1st, so I chose that as my starting date.

I am now on day 8.  Observations that I've had so far:
  • Shooting a pic a day isn't that difficult if you don't think about it too hard.  The challenge is to take a photo a day, not to create a masterpiece each day.
  • I find that I'm shooting less in a session than I normally would so that I don't run out of things to shoot.  I'm not sure why this is, as there are zillions of things to photograph in the world, but I find myself stopping after I get a usable shot.  I don't want to use up my mental list of ideas too quickly.
  • There are Flickr groups for everything.  Seriously, today's photo was of a chair.  Out of curiosity, I searched for "Chair" on the Flickr site, and sure enough, there is a Chair group.  In fact, there are multiple chair groups.  Same for "Doorway" (yesterday's photo), and "Cold" etc.  It boggles the mind.
  • I'm still not used to carrying my camera everywhere.  It feels weird.  It may be that it's because I'm carrying around a naked DSLR with no case, so it's obvious that I'm carrying it.  On the other hand, I decided to leave it at home today since I had already posted the day's shot, and it felt strange to not have it with me.  Not really what I expected after only eight days.
  • My family hasn't said that I'm crazy.  I'm pretty sure they are thinking it, but so far they haven't said anything.
So why am I doing this?  Simple.  I like having projects to do, and I've been wanting to force myself to get out with my camera more.  So far, so good.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment